This may be downloaded as an individual document HERE
“ADMITTED TO GOD, TO OURSELVES, AND TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING THE EXACT NATURE OF OUR WRONGS.”
WHY WE TAKE THIS STEP:
If we skip this vital step – we may not overcome our addictions. We must be entirely honest with somebody if we expect to live long or happily in this world (Page 72).
WHO WE TAKE THIS STEP WITH:
Though we have no religious connection, we may still do well to talk with someone ordained by an established religion. We often find such a person quick to see and understand our problem. Here everyone is welcome, is free to speak in absolute confidentiality, and is again unified by doing this step, as all the others, in the same manner as the rest of the group.
JOG YOUR MEMORY:
1) Trying to avoid this humbling experience, they have turned to easier methods. Almost invariably they returned to their addictions.
2) Ask God to help you remember and be willing to be honest.
3) Write down the important things that you are not proud of that you cannot discuss with somebody else.
1. Begin your step by saying “My name is ____________________, and I don’t react well to fear, resentments, or sex problems because of my selfishness and self-centeredness (the exact nature of our wrongs).”
Now it’s time to find a place where we can be quiet for an hour, carefully reviewing what we have done. We thank God from the bottom of our heart that we know Him better.
Carefully considering the first five steps we ask if we have omitted anything, for we are building an arch through which we shall walk a free man at last (Pages 75-76).
1) “WE ADMITTED WE ARE POWERLESS OVER ALCOHOLISM – THAT OUR LIVES HAD BECOME UNMANAGEABLE.” Yes___ No___
2) “CAME TO BELIEVE THAT A POWER GREATER THAN OURSELVES COULD RESTORE US TO SANITY.” Yes___ No___
3) “MADE A DECISION TO TURN OUR WILL AND OUR LIVES OVER TO THE CARE OF GOD AS WE UNDERSTOOD HIM.” Yes___ No___
4) “MADE A SEARCHING AND FEARLESS MORAL INVENTORY OF OURSELVES.” Yes___ No___
5) “ADMITTED TO GOD, TO OURSELVES, AND TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING THE EXACT NATURE OF OUR WRONGS.” Yes___ No___
a) Is our work solid so far? Yes___ No___
b) Are the stones properly in place? Yes___ No___
c) Have we skimped on the cement put into the foundation? Yes___No___
d) Have we tried to make mortar without sand? Yes___ No___
If we can answer to our satisfaction, we then look at Steps Six and Seven.